Friday, December 11, 2009

Seasonal Family Films Part 05…

A look at some of my all-time favourite, festive films…

Hi Guys,

Today, I thought I would like to share the last of my favourite Christmas films with you, before moving on to other festive fare. This time around it is the turn of the animated TV feature, Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer.

This is the longest-running holiday special in television history and has entertained millions of families since 1964, with a world-renowned musical score from Johnny Marks and the voice talent of the legendary performer, Burl Ives who plays the part of Sam the Snowman.

The story tells of Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, a shy, young reindeer who has become a joke to the folks of Christmastown who always laugh at his shiny red nose. Rudolph and his friend Hermey, the Elf who wants to be a dentist, decide to get away from this and set off to make a life on their own.

However, they soon find themselves pursued by the Abominable Snowmonster. You have to see this scene – it’s a classic! They flee to the Island of Misfit Toys in the Arctic wilderness where a prospector called; Yukon Cornelius meets them along the way and comes to their rescue.

The gang return to Christmastown, where they learn that bad weather may cause Christmas to be cancelled. Rudolph's headlight…his illuminated nose, however, saves Christmas by serving as a beacon to guide Santa's sleigh, just like in the song.

I managed to buy this and a sister DVD, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, a few years ago and added them to my Christmas collection. If you get chance to see both do so, they really are great fun and have been digitally re-mastered!

Once again this is a fun, festive one to watch with all the family. I promise you the kids will love it!

Since writing this little series of Blogs on Christmas Films I enjoy, I have to admit to thinking of others too, which I may continue with next year, as there are a lot more things I have written this year for me to allow any more space to them now.

Well we are continuing to receive some great illustrations for the Manga competition and I thought I would add a little reminder to those of you still wishing to enter the competition.

What you need to do this year is look at the Worlds End characters and draw them in a Manga style. You can find what they all look like here on The Worlds End Gallery.

So hurry up and get your artwork sent into us here at the Keep.

For more details take a look at the Christmas Manga “Art” Competition over on the Wizards Keep Website

Until next time have fun!

Tim Perkins…
December 11th 2009

No comments: