Monday, March 05, 2007

Ghost Rider The Film Review.

My personal verdict.

I spoke to Mike Ploog, the original artist on the 1970’s comic book character, this afternoon. He has not as yet seen the film, but hoped it wasn’t hammed up too much as in his words; “the stories were quite dark, really”.

Well having sat through the film tonight with my wife, Margaret, I can honestly say the film was well worth the wait. Nicholas Cage did ham it up in a couple of places, but overall the film was great and any fan of the Ghost Rider legends, Carter Slade and Johnny Blaze won’t, I feel, be disappointed. There was even a “Mike Ploogesque” swamp scene in there to boot, with lots of twisted roots and tree limbs. I almost expected Man-Thing to appear from out the depths.

Some great effects and like I said in an earlier Blog a few days ago, merely suspending belief a little is all it will take for folks to enjoy a good old romp. The Bike is a great looking machine and the story harkens back to those days in the early seventies, when the comic was first created, and Evel Kneivel reined supreme as the bike riding stunt man defying death with his motor cycles for all the world to see.

As a 12A certificate I was a little surprised to see a couple of kids, much younger in there with an adult, watching. But I didn’t hear them scream, the sound was full though throughout the film, so maybe they won’t have too many nightmares.

I often wonder as to how the UK board give the films certificates…

So my advice…go and check it out, but remember…it’s based on a comic…and it’s meant to be FUN!

Until next time have fun!

Tim Perkins…

March 5th 2007

No comments: